I am running to serve my community in Utah House of Representatives District 19 because I believe it is important to have a Republican who follows the Utah Republican Party Platform. It only seems fair for Republicans to expect a Republican nominee to vote according to the document that unites us as a party.
- NO MORE TAX INCREASES: For years we have seen Republicans vote for tax increases, even in times of massive surpluses, such as 2018 with over half a billion dollars in cash, many Republicans, including my opponent voted to raise your property taxes $25,000,000 this year and up to $125,000,000 more the next four. He also supports raising our Utah State Gas Tax 33.5% per gallon! In 2016 he voted to raise it 20% higher per gallon. Utah is already number four in the country for highest gas prices. Enough! I WILL NOT VOTE TO RAISE TAXES. I also signed the National Tax Payer Protection Pledge to Not raising taxes.
- RESPONSIBLE EDUCATION SPENDING: The Utah education budget for 2018 is 6.2 billion dollars. It is imperative that we do all we can to support the growing number of students in our schools, but we must also do a better job following exactly where the education dollars are going. We continue to build multi-million dollar high school buildings, yet we have many elementary schools without air conditioning, and teachers who have to apply for grants and send students home after school to do fundraising for classroom supplies.
- PROTECTING THE SECOND AMENDMENT: It is common throughout our country after a tragic school shooting to hear the left immediately call for Gun Control. They want to enact measures that don’t stop criminals but inhibit law-abiding citizens from owning guns and protecting others. The sad fact is that criminals will use whatever method of harm is available to them, guns, knives, even automobiles. We must focus on the person, not the weapon of choice. Communities must be vigilant, and school officials and law enforcement must pay attention to signs of distress or anger exhibited in individuals who could cause harm to themselves or others. The Second Amendment is a constitutional right that I will always vote to uphold.
- DEALING WITH THE OPIOID EPIDEMIC: Unfortunately, Utah has one of the highest rates of prescription drug use. Many people get prescriptions to deal with chronic pain, depression or to manage hyperactive disorders. Patients get addicted and children and others gain access to prescription drugs that are either not properly disposed of or are carelessly left unsecured. My opponent proposed legislation to allow police officers to access your medical records without a search warrant, a clear violation of the Fourth Amendment against illegal search and seizure. I believe Utah doctors do their best to treat their patients, but the drug companies need to be held accountable for highly addictive drugs that are overprescribed.
- A BALANCED BUDGET IS NOT ENOUGH: Utah’s 2018 budget is 16.7 Billion dollars. Yes, we have a balanced budget each year because our Constitution requires it. Unfortunately, 25% of our budget comes from the Federal Government which is already 21 Trillion in debt. Utah needs to stop with the tax and spend mentality to wean itself off the 4.15 billion it gets every year from the Federal Government.
I believe in limited government, low taxes and personal responsibility. Our government was created to ensure every citizen life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It was not created to solve our social problems, guarantee access to healthcare, provide social welfare, take our land, limit our liberty or dictate which Constitutional freedoms apply to whom.
Our Platform states: “We believe government properly exists by the consent of the governed and must be restrained from intruding into the freedoms of its citizens. The function of government is not to grant rights, but to protect the unalienable, God-given rights of life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness.”
I support our Platform, and that is why I claim to be a platform Republican. As your legislator, I will uphold and defend our State and US Constitution, and I will vote according to our Utah Republican Platform. A vote for Phill is a vote for a real Republican. I am a Republican who wants to run as your candidate, not a candidate who wants to run as a Republican.